Wade's World Menu...

Wednesday, March 06, 2024

TROPHY LIFE

Growing up I had a trophy shelf in my bedroom. It was full of little league and basketball awards, and even my 3rd grade spelling bee champion trophy. I was very proud of these trophies. So proud that I would take time to dust them in order for them to shine brighter.

As I grew up and moved away, I left those trophies behind at my mom and dad’s house. But the idea of trophies never left me. 

My life and my Christian service became about the collection of trophies on my shelf. 

I was very proud of them. 

But God did not create me to be a trophy collector. God did not call me to shine so I would be noticed. God created me to shine His glory, so that people would notice Him. 

If I make being a consistent Christian my goal in order to accumulate more trophies, then I’m missing the point. My trophies do not make me more appealing to God. Anything that shines brighter than God in my life will actually cause me to be separate from God! 

I have to let go of past trophies (and failures) and focus on the true prize that Jesus has called me to win. 

I cannot follow Jesus into the future if I’m holding on to the past. 

"Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” (‭‭Philippians‬ ‭3:13-14‬ ‭NIV‬‬)

God did not create me to be a trophy on His shelf. He created me to be close to Him and reflect His glory so others would notice Him, not me. 

No comments: