Wade's World Menu...

Friday, November 04, 2022

ROCK OF AGES

On November 4, 1740 in England, Augustus Toplady, the author of the hymn "Rock of Ages," is born. I always remember hearing my Mammaw Pate singing this song in her kitchen. It's a favorite memory... but the older I get the more I appreciate the message of this song. 

Verse 1 reminds me there is a cure for sin! It’s the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. 
Verse 2 reminds me there is nothing I can do to earn my forgiveness.
Verse 3 reminds me once again that it is only through the cross of Jesus I have hope.
Verse 4 reminds me that one day life on this earth will end and real life will begin with Him.  

Here are the lyrics: 

Verse 1:
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee;
let the water and the blood,
from thy wounded side which flowed,
be of sin the double cure;
save from wrath and make me pure.

Verse 2:
Not the labors of my hands
can fulfill thy law's demands;
could my zeal no respite know,
could my tears forever flow,
all for sin could not atone;
thou must save, and thou alone.

Verse 3:
Nothing in my hand I bring,
simply to the cross I cling;
naked, come to thee for dress;
helpless, look to thee for grace;
foul, I to the fountain fly;
wash me, Savior, or I die.

Verse 4:
While I draw this fleeting breath,
when mine eyes shall close in death,
when I soar to worlds unknown,
see thee on thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee.

No comments: