Wade's World Menu...

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

A "NORMAL" THANKSGIVING

 I freely admit the 4th Thursday of November is one of my favorite days of the year. I believe when you combine family, food, and football, good things will happen! 

I also believe followers of Jesus should practice Thanks-giving every day. I do not mean the gathering together for a big meal and watching a football game (although, I would not protest that too much), but the practice of giving thanks is something that should happen daily. Thanksgiving should be a normal part of our life. 

In Luke 17 we read about ten men who were healed by Jesus of their leprosy.  Out of those ten men only one came back to give thanks.  When the one came back, Jesus asked, "Where are the other nine?"  It seems like Jesus was surprised that only one came back because it should be normal for us to express thanksgiving.  

When my daughter Lilly is thankful for something Amanda and I have given to her, it does something to our hearts. When Lilly tells me “thank you” I always give her a hug. My daughter’s thanksgiving brings her closer to me.  

When we are thankful to God, it draws us closer to Him. 

But if we are not thankful, it can have the opposite effect. 

In Romans 1:21 Paul writes, “For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.”  

This passage seems to imply that people who are ungrateful to God will drift away from Him.  Their hearts will become hard.  They are filled with pride that keeps them from worshipping God.  But having a spirit of humility and thankfulness draws us closer to God.  Therefore, thanksgiving should be normal for everyone!  

How can thanksgiving to God be a “normal” day? Here are a few ideas:  

You can say thank you to God when you:  

1) Spend time with Him (not just 1 hour a week on Sunday).

2) When you forgive others.

3) When you serve in His church.

4) When you share His Plan of salvation.

5) When you reach out to hurting people.

6) When you give God the best of your Time, Talent, and Treasure.

7) When you praise Him enthusiastically from the heart.

These are a few ways that we can express our thanksgiving to God and make Thanksgiving a "normal" part of our day. 

No comments: