Wednesday, November 05, 2014

ELECTION REFLECTION

Many have went public today sharing their observations and reasons why yesterdays election mattered or didn't matter.  Since I have access to the same internets, I thought I would join in the fun.


OBSERVATION #1 - I ROCKED THE VOTE. 
Remember when MTV would encourage young people to vote?  Those were good times.  Since I'm no longer young in the eyes of actual young people, I went ahead and voted... and in my opinion I "rocked" it like a microphone.  Of course, while at the polling place I felt obligated to think "old voter" thoughts to myself.  Thoughts like:  "These young whipper-snappers have no idea what it was like to vote on a punch card, strolling in here using their fancy voting machines and simply pushing a button. They'll never know the joy of a hanging chad."


OBSERVATION #2 - IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT.
I'm singing the song in my head… hang on for just a moment.
OK… I'm back.
Depending on the paradigm you view the world through, your world came crashing down in spectacular fashion last night.  Today you find yourself going through the stages of grief:
1. DENIAL - We didn't lose… America lost.
2. ANGER - Replace the party leadership!!!  How could they be so ignorant?
3. BARGAINING - It's really not that bad… actually this could be a good thing.
4. DEPRESSION - It's really bad.
5. ACCEPTANCE - We can blame every problem on them and get vengeance during the next election!


OBSERVATION #3 - HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN.  
We won!!  We won!!  We won!!!
Celebrate good times, come on!
Whew!!!!
We won.
That's right… we won.
Great.
Super.
Dandy.
Ummm….
Now we are in charge of the most unpopular institution in the United States.  Hooray.


OBSERVATION #4 - OBSERVATIONS #2 & #3 WILL SWITCH SIDES IN 2 - 8 YEARS.  
Isn't it great?!?!
You have so much to look forward to!


OBSERVATION #5 - I'M THANKFUL WE CAN VOTE.
We are blessed to have the opportunity to express who we want to lead this nation.  While our system is not perfect, it's a system I'm thankful to live under.  Last night I checked the election results after playing with my 9 month old daughter and rocking her to sleep.  I didn't have to worry about riots or coup attempts. No one threatened my life while I voted.  I was free to be home with my family and wait for the outcome.  For that I am truly thankful.

"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness."  (1 Timothy 2:1-2)

No comments: