Monday, March 25, 2013

DANCING WITH THE SCARS...

I'm beginning a new series in April called "Dancing with the Scars."

Yes, this is a word play from the TV show.
No, it is not original with me.
Yes, I need your help!

Why do I need your help?

Because you know life is brutal.

Life hurts and cuts, and then you bleed.  You are left permanently hurt.  There are memories and wounds you have that simply will not go away.

And it breaks my heart to know you have suffered from abuse... depression... tragedy... addiction...

It breaks my heart to know you have painful scars.

I wish our faith in God prevented scars like these, but then we remember our Lord was pretty scarred Himself.

So what are you going to do?  What do you do about your scars?

Well...  

You gotta keep on dancing.

I believe through Jesus we are given access to a faith and hope and joy and peace and love that gives us power to keep on dancing, to embrace the scars and know these scars do not define us, nor do they destroy us.

In fact, we keep on dancing with the scars.

I am praying the month of April will be a time of healing and peace.

I'm also hoping you will share the stories behind your scars.  I know this seems dangerous because we feel like the scab is being ripped off the wound again.  I know this can be intimidating because we don't want anyone to know how we got these scars.  I understand there can be a lot of shame and embarrassment we carry around because of our scars.

But I pray we will find encouragement and peace in God through sharing these "scar" stories.  As Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 1:3-4, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God."

This is why I'm asking you to share your story.
Will you allow God to use your scar to comfort others?

I have set up a page on our church website which will give you a space to share your story.  Your story can be shared anonymously if you would like.  But I'm hoping you will tell us about your scar and how God is helping you to keep on "dancing with the scars."

If you would be willing to share your story, please click on this link:  www.rccfl.org/my-story .  (There is also a link on the church website home page.)

Later, you'll be able to visit this page and read stories from others who have learned how to "dance with the scars."

Even if you are not part of our church at Restoration, I encourage you to share your story with us.  We need each other!

Thank you for your help and I look forward to "dancing with the scars" with you!

No comments: