Monday, February 04, 2013

IF I WERE THE DEVIL...

If I were the Devil, I would want the entire world living in darkness.

Just like the 34 minute blackout during the Super Bowl last night, I would do everything possible to continue dimming the light of the church in this world.

Sure, there was some light in the Super Dome, but not enough to make a difference.

This would be my goal for the church, if I were the Devil.

If I were the Devil, I'd begin a series of whispers to cause people to question right and wrong.  Just as the actual Devil whispered to Eve in the garden, I would say, "Do whatever you want to do.  It's your choice."

To the young people I would whisper, "The Bible is a book of myths, written by men with an agenda of hate and oppression."  The implications of this whisper are deafening!   What this Bible calls bad is actually good.  What is called good by this Bible is actually intolerance.

If I were the Devil, I wold teach them to pray with me, "Our Father, which art in Washington..."  This will cause them to trust in men for their provision, rather than a God who gives the ability to work and make wealth.

If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who want, until there was no incentive left for ambition.  I would even use the states to promote gambling as the way to get rich.  After all, someone has to win.  It might as well be you.

If I were the Devil, this is what I would do.

I would instruct authors in the art of making witchcraft appealing.
I would guide entertainers to glamorize destructive behaviors.
I would use addictive substances to harm people's bodies.
I wold tranquilize the rest with pills.

This is what I would do, if I were the Devil.

If I were the Devil, I would have families fighting wars with themselves.
I would have churches at war with themselves.
I would incite governments to be at war with themselves.
I would do this until each was consumed and destroyed.

With promises of higher ratings, I would use the media to fan the flames of destruction.  I would have the media raise up idols only to destroy them later on.

This is what I would do, if I were the Devil.

If I were the Devil, I would removed God from the school house.

I would encourage schools to refine the young minds of our nation, but neglect to discipline their emotions.  Let them only be affirmed in their self-image.  Do not teach them the lesson of consequences.

If I were the Devil, I would caution against absolutes.  What is true for you may not be true for me.

I would convince a generation that marriage is restrictive or outdated.  In fact, I would promote alternatives to marriage.  And then, with no absolutes to guide them, I will lead them all to the slaughter, having completely torn apart the fabric of society.

Most importantly, if I were the Devil, I would remove God from the church house.

In His own churches I would substitute psychology for Scripture.
I would deify the human experience.
I would entice pastors and priests into misusing people and possessions.
I would destroy any ounce of credibility people may have in something Holy.

In other words, if I were the Devil, I'd just keep right on doing what he's doing.


(NOTE:  The Paul Harvey "God made a Farmer" ad from the Super Bowl last night inspired me to recall another great speech that Paul Harvey had made back in 1965.  His speech was almost prophetic.  You can listen to Paul Harvey's "If I were the Devil" by clicking here.  This blog post is my adaptation of Paul Harvey's words.)

1 comment:

Jason Thomas said...

good article