Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Chipmunk Christianity...

I enjoyed reading this post from my friend, Mike Edmisten.  I wanted to share it with you all today.  Enjoy!!  


I love animal documentaries on TV. I realize that doesn't make me cool, but I'm getting old enough that I just don't care anymore.
One of my current favorites is the Wild Russia series that's been on recently. Thecinematography is awesome, and it features some of the rarest animals on the planet. But one of the interesting tidbits that I saw recently wasn't about a rare, endangered animal.It was about a common, everyday chipmunk.
Chipmunks bury food constantly. If you see a chipmunk, it is either searching for food or burying food. All day, everyday.
But here's the interesting part…their memory is only three days long. I don't know how we figured out the length of a chipmunk's memory, but apparently we have conclusively determined that a chipmunk can't remember anything longer than three days. That means that they often forget where their food stashes are located.
Chipmunks are all about gathering and storing food…but most of it never gets used.
As I was watching this show, it occurred to me that most believers in Christ are chipmunks. They are all about gathering food. They always want to stock up on food and store it away.
Food, in this case, is Biblical knowledge.
So many Christians always want to attend another class. They want to do another study. They want to accumulate more and more food…but they never use it.
In James 1, God tells us, "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." (James 1:22)
That is one of the least complicated, easy-to-understand verses in all of Scripture.
Don't just store it up. Don't simply acquire more and more knowledge. Use it.
John Maxwell said, "Most Christians are educated far beyond their level of obedience."
Most believers gather more and more food. They stock up. They store it away. But they never use it.
They learn, but they don't love.
They gather, but they don't give.
They store, but they don't serve.
Apparently chipmunks are forgetful and wasteful animals. They hoard food that is never used.
It's time to put a stop to chipmunk Christianity.

No comments: