Tuesday, December 27, 2011

McDreamy Jeremiah...

I found a movie at Amanda's house based on the book of Jeremiah.  I was surprised to see that Patrick Dempsey starred in the lead role of Jeremiah.  

Amanda and I watched this movie last night.  It was not the greatest film ever produced, yet I was surprised at how accurately they portrayed the story of Jeremiah.

I was personally gripped with the difficult task God had given to Jeremiah.  Jeremiah was called to stand up to the king of Judah, to stand up to the military generals, even to stand up to the priests so that God's message would be delivered to the people.

What an intimidating task that would have been!

Add to it the burden of not being allowed to marry and Jeremiah had a lonely call from God.

This movie made me think about the "calls" we receive from God in our life.  If we are honest, most of the time when we get a "call" from God it is for us to move on to something we consider better.  We typically find something more comfortable and become certain that God has "called" us to that task.

After all, God would never call us to do something uncomfortable.

Right?

Can we expect only good "calls" in life from the Lord?  Or does God allow us to suffer for His sake so that we will long for a future life with Him?

When God called Jeremiah, the initial words spoken were these:
“Behold, I have put my words in your mouth. See, I have set you this day over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to break down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant."  (Jeremiah 1:10)
Who wouldn't want to do that?!?!?!  I'd love to speak for YOU God!!  I'll tear down some kingdoms!!  I'll destroy and overthrow whatever YOU want God!!  Sign me up!!! 

But then Jeremiah is told the people he's going to preach to... they won't listen.  In fact, they will oppose him.

Despite this fact, Jeremiah is told to go.


And he went. 

I'm sure if you asked Jeremiah today if it was worth being beaten and thrown in prison for the sake of delivering God's Word he would say YES.

God does not call everyone to suffer, but it is His will for some people.

Peter said, "Therefore let those who suffer according to God's will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good." (1 Peter 4:19)

No comments: