Thursday, October 06, 2011

Steve Jobs... 1955 - 2011

I am sad to learn that Steve Jobs passed away.

I purchased a book about Steve and Apple the day he died.  (Crazy coincidence, but it's true.)  I wanted to read about Steve's leadership style and how his Apple company functioned.  I was curious how he brought Apple from the brink of failure to become the most valuable company in America.

I read the first chapter yesterday morning.  It was very interesting.  I look forward to reading more today.

Jobs famously hired John Sculley away from Pepsi by asking him, "Do you want sell sugar water for the rest of your life or come with me and change the world?"

Steve did change the world... the computer I'm writing this on is a result of his leadership.  The way we listen to music has changed because of Steve Jobs.

One man really can change the world.

Of course... computers will come and go.  Music sources will probably change again in the future.  The world will keep on changing.

I want to change the world too.  Not for just a little while, but for eternity.

So the question I have to ask is...
what am I doing today that will change the world for eternity?  

1 comment:

dps said...

I believe that more than just inovation, Steve Jobs connected with people on a "it just works" level. I think that is something that people often times overlook. People want something that is dependable, something that they don't have to relearn every time a new version comes out, but also something that frees them up to do more of the things they want to be doing.

It is perhaps what the church needs to refocus on, in that we tend to make promises or state truths that are beyond our control. We ask people do be "doers" rather than simply "being". Steve Jobs placed items in our lives, that became part of who we are and what we love to do. There is something we can learn from that. I'm pretty sure we can find similarities in that Jesus placed himself into our lives, and wants to be a huge part of who we are and what we love to do.