Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pray for me... things are going great!!!


Has anyone ever asked you, "Things are going so well right now, would you please pray for me?"  

Typically we ask for prayer when circumstances are difficult.  We ask for prayer during the dark times of life.  Rarely does anyone ask for prayer when things are going well.  

I was reading the first chapter of Colossians the other day and realized the apostle Paul had a different approach.  Paul wrote to the Colossian church and let them know he has heard a good report about their faith.  

"We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints, because of the hope laid up for you in heaven."  (Colossians 1:3-5)

Paul thanked God in his prayers because there was good news about this church!  Paul heard about their faith. Paul heard how loving the church was.  Things were good in those departments of the church. 

That's why in verse 9 Paul says, "And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you..."

Wait a second.  

Paul hears about a church where good things are happening and the first thing he says is "I'm praying for you... like NON-STOP!!"  

Doesn't that seem a little backwards?  Doesn't that seem a bit unnecessary?  If I was writing this letter I'd be like, "You guys are doing great, but that Corinthian church over there...  GEESH!!  Would you join with me in praying for them?"  

Yet, Paul looks at a church where there is faith and love and he knows they need prayer.  Paul understands that when a church is growing, where disciples of Jesus are progressing together, he should never stop praying for them, but instead, pray all the more for them!

I find myself doing the opposite.  When I pray I look for things that aren't going well.  I try to figure out who is in trouble.  That's how I determine whether or not to pray for someone.  Who's in the deepest need?

But a strong case can be made that the ones who are successful for God's Kingdom are ones who actually need constant prayer! After all, they are in the line of fire from the enemy!!  

Wasn't Job an example of this?  Job loved God.  Job was blessed and prospering.  And Job desperately needed prayer!  

Paul writes to the Colossians and basically says, "Since I've heard a good report about you, I'm praying for you." 

I would have to say that things are going well for me in my life.  I'm engaged to an amazing lady. Restoration Christian Church is taking off very well.  I have experienced God's blessings in some incredible ways the last several months.  

And then it hits me... 

I need to pray

We need to pray. 

Please pray for me... things are going great!!!

No comments: