Friday, September 23, 2011

Living the "Amish" Dream...


I moved to French Lick, IN a few weeks ago.  Over the course of that time I have contacted two different companies to install cable/satellite TV in my apartment.  I went with the first company because they were going to give me a "bundle" deal with internet and cable. 


However, a day later I get a phone call from them informing me that while I could subscribe to their internet service, the building I live in was not yet available for use of their cable service. 

Bummer. 

I called a second place to set up TV service with them.  I went through the whole process of setting up my new account, giving them my information, etc.  They were to send my satellite receiver in the mail.  Sure enough, a few days later I received my TV equipment from them. 

I set up the receiver with my TV and turned it on.  The screen showed a message which said, "Searching for satellite signal."  I figured that was normal at the beginning.  I left it on for awhile and came back to find that the receiver was still searching for the satellite signal. 

After 4 hours of searching for a signal I decided to call for support.  Of course, I had to leave a message. 

The next morning I am called back and asked to explain the situation.  I told them that the satellite signal has not yet been found.  They ask me if the receiver is plugged in correctly.  (I wanted to say "How in the world do you think I can see the message on my TV if it isn't plugged in correctly" but I was nice.)  They agreed to send a technician to my apartment to check out the situation. 

When the technician arrived he quickly diagnosed the situation.  Are you ready for this?  My building is not available for their satellite service.  The one beside me is, but not the one I live in. 

Perhaps God is teaching me that I need to read and focus on Him rather than using my time to watch TV.  Plus, it's a lot cheaper!! 

Life goes on without TV. 

1 comment:

Jim Christensen said...

Wade, we ditched our TV cable service over 5 years ago. I don't miss it at all. One of the best decisions we've ever made. Enjoy.