Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Glad & Sad...

I try to be a thankful person.  Each day I will typically give thanks for what many of us would consider the basics of life.   I have a place to live.  I have food to eat.  I have clothes to wear.  I'm thankful for God's provision.

I also give thanks to God for my family and friends.  I am thankful that God uses me in spite of my failures to talk to others about Him. 

But in my prayer time this morning I realized something else I'm thankful for...

I'm thankful that God is not like me. 

These are part of the words I prayed this morning:
"God, I am thankful that You aren't like me, but I'm sad to know I'm not more like You.  I'm thankful You do not react like I react.  I'm thankful You love completely and unconditionally.  Oh God, forgive me when I am not like You." 
I find myself today feeling a mixture of emotion.  I'm glad on the one hand that God is not like me.  We are not dealing with a god who simply cannot wait to punish us when we step out of line.  Yes, it is true that God will punish, but His nature is that He would rather discipline than punish. There really is a difference.  This difference makes me glad that God is not like me. 

But at the same time I am sad to realize I'm not like Him.  I find myself so caught up in things of this world.  I find myself treating people in a way that doesn't value them as God values them.  It breaks my heart that I am not perfect as my Heavenly Father is perfect. 

Today I am thankful that God is not like me.  But I am sad that I am not more like Him. 

 "Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." - Ephesians 5:1-2

1 comment:

Jason Thomas said...

great thoughts swadeness!