Thursday, January 06, 2011

MY GOALS FOR 2011... PART 3

(There is an old saying which says, “If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time.” I want to make the most of every opportunity, which is why I have written down goals for myself in 2011. I’m posting them on the blog to help keep me accountable. I have 7 goals all together and today I share 2 more of them with you.)


GOAL: WORK OUT/EXERCISE AT LEAST 3 DAYS PER WEEK.

I’m out of shape. I mean… REALLY out of shape.

I’ve always been “bigger” throughout my life, but the reality is that I am horribly out of shape. It’s true that I played football and baseball in high school (this picture is proof), but 15 years later I am in the worst shape of my life.

As I get older I need to take better care of myself. I also know that I am not feeling the greatest physically, and I attribute that to my weight. That’s why I have set the goal of working out at least 3 days each week.

In high school I would work out 5 days a week. I’d lift weights on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, then I would do cardio workouts on Tuesday and Thursday. That program was great for helping to build muscle mass. This time though I don’t have any plans to “bulk” up. My goal is simply to get myself healthier.

FYI - I am not setting a weight loss goal. I’m simply going to make a lifestyle change of eating better and exercising throughout the week.


GOAL: RUN A 5K WITH MY BROTHER.

As a motivation to exercise, my brother Chad and I have determined to run a 5k this spring. Having my brother join in this endeavor gives me added encouragement and determination to achieving this goal.

I came across the “Couch to 5k” program online. This website gives a training regimen which should enable you to run a 5k within 8 weeks. This is the program I have decided to use to get myself in shape to run with my brother.

Chad and I have not decided on when or where to run yet… but that will be coming soon.

No comments: