Wednesday, January 05, 2011

MY GOALS FOR 2011... PART 2

(There is an old saying which says, “If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time.” I want to make the most of every opportunity, which is why I have written down goals for myself in 2011. I’m posting them on the blog to help keep me accountable. I have 7 goals all together.  Yesterday I shared my first goal with you.  Today I share 3 more of them.)


GOAL: READ FROM THE BIBLE EVERYDAY. 

It’s easy to start the year off by saying you are going to read the entire Bible over the course of the year. But by the time you get halfway through the book of Exodus… you’re really struggling. Then Leviticus will kill you.

Traditional reading plans have not always worked out the best for me. I’m more of a “choose your own adventure” kind of guy. I like to pick certain books of the Bible and read through them.

One thing I have consistently done over the past several years is to read a chapter out of the book of Proverbs daily. This corresponds to the day of the month. For example, today is January 5th. That means I read Proverbs chapter 5. If the date was January 23, then I would read Proverbs chapter 23. There are 31 chapters in the book of Proverbs, which makes this system work very well. A chapter in Proverbs for each day of the month!


GOAL: READ AT LEAST 2 BOOKS A MONTH.

I’m thankful that I enjoy reading, yet I need to be more intentional with my reading plan. I am seeking to balance my reading list with books that will help me to be well-rounded. I am compiling a list of several books to read this year. These books include biographies, church leadership books, history books, and some other books to read simply for the joy of reading.

I am starting the year by reading “Decision Points” by George W. Bush. It’s been very interesting so far, and I enjoy learning about what went on behind the scenes at the White House. (I’ll probably write a blog post about this book when I finish it next week.)

I am aiming at reading at least 2 books a month.  (My thinking is that I can finish a book within 2 weeks. Hopefully I will be able to read more than 2 books a month.)


GOAL: ATTEND AT LEAST ONE LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE THIS YEAR.

I am a leader. However, I do not consider myself a natural leader. My natural tendencies take me away from leadership. That is why I have to focus and continually work on my leadership abilities. In order to continue leading effectively, I must make the effort to be trained by effective leaders. That’s why I plan to attend at least one leadership conference in 2011.

I have not yet decided which conference I will attend. I have enjoyed Catalyst One Day in the past, and would love to experience the main Catalyst Conference in Atlanta. But I am checking the calendar (and prices!) to see which event best fits my schedule and my needs. Please let me know of any good conferences you would recommend for me.

No comments: