Thursday, December 02, 2010

15 Years Ago Today...

15 years ago today I was riding on a charter bus with about 40 other guys on our way back to Bluefield from Wheeling, WV.  It was a quiet ride.  There was some talking, but nothing too exuberant because the night before we had lost the class AA state football championship game. 

I've often wondered how my life would be different if we had won that state championship.  I don't have the answer because obviously we didn't win.  But I have wondered. 

What would be different?

Maybe there have been events take place in your life that make you wonder...

What if I had gotten that job?
What if I had gone to that school?
What if I had avoided that accident?
What if that person had married me?
What if that person hadn't died? 

I don't have any definite answers for these questions.  But I have decided that it's dangerous to play the "what if" game. 

Sure... there are always going to be things we question.  But instead of questioning why these things happened (or didn't happen) the better thing to do is make a path to the Lord. 

Isaiah tells us that the Lord is the One who comforts those who mourn. 
The Lord is the One who provides for those who grieve. 
The Lord is the One who takes our ashes and trades them for beauty. 

Isaiah chapter 61 is one of my favorites.  Check it out sometime. 

I have changed my thinking. 

Instead of thinking "15 years ago today"...
now I start thinking "15 years FROM today." 

15 years FROM today... I will know more fully the provision of the Lord.  I will know He is faithful.  And I will be evidence to all of HIS glory. 

HE is all I need. 
HE is all I needed 15 years ago.
HE is all I need today.
He is all I will need 15 years from now. 
HE is all I need. 

No comments: