Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sinking Sand...

I love standing in the water at the beach and letting the waves hit me.  Even though last week was the first week of November, the weather was warm enough that on our trip we could get out and go walk on the beach.  The water was cold, but you would get used to it after awhile. 

I would stand still and let the water from the waves rush past me towards the shore.  But when the water returned to the sea, I felt an interesting sensation.  I was sinking!!  As the water went back to the sea, it was taking away the very sand I was standing on. 

I couldn't help but think of the words of the old church hymn... "On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand." 

Jesus told the crowd listening to Him in Matthew chapter 7:24 - 27: 

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

Far too often we build on foundations of sand.  We think that if we only had the right job, then we would be secure.  We think that if we only had the right spouse, things would be wonderful.  We think that if we had money in the bank, everything will work out just fine. 

But jobs come and go.
Spouses will leave.
Money will run out. 

All of those things are sinking sand.  When the storm of life comes, it will wash them back out into the sea. 

What a great reminder last week was to me of making sure I build my life on a solid foundation.  After all... everything else is just sinking sand.  

No comments: