Monday, November 29, 2010

MONDAY MUSINGS...

-  I had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends!!  I am so blessed. 

-  I preached at the Sugar Tree Ridge Church of Christ yesterday.  We talked about contentment.  I thought that would be appropriate for the Sunday after Thanksgiving as we count our blessings and move towards the Christmas season. 
     I used Philippians 4:10-13 as my text.  Paul writes in verse 12, "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation..."  The word "learned" in that verse implies that Paul's contentment came through experience.  He had learned to be content.  It was not a natural response for him.  It was a learned behavior. 
     So much of life is trying to find happiness or contentment.  After awhile we finally realize (after trying so many things) that it is not external circumstances or possessions that bring true happiness.  Contentment comes from the inside.  True contentment is based on our relationship with Jesus Christ. 
     I pray that as we move towards this Christmas season that we would not seek after things in this world to satisfy our desires; rather, we will seek after Christ who can truly satisfy our needs.  

-  I was sad to learn that one of my favorite actors died yesterday.  Leslie Nielsen was 84 years old.  He passed away in a hospital (it's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now). 

What's crazy is that my family was just talking about some of his movies the other night as we visited.  My brother and I could quote several of them.  We especially enjoyed watching them at 1 or 2 AM.  That's when they were extremely funny!! 

He will be missed.


-  I'm looking forward to preaching at the River Valley Christian Church outside of Louisville, KY this coming Sunday.  It will be great to be back with Jeff the Intern and his wonderful wife, Jessica. 

-  Have a great Monday!! 

No comments: