I was then able to travel with some friends to Anderson, South Carolina for a leadership conference. It was a challenging day... while I don't agree with everything the speakers say, I have to admit that I was challenged deeply by the conference. When Francis Chan is the worst speaker of the day (in my opinion), it's a pretty good day.
Here is a list of my main take-aways from each speaker at the conference...
- "Our strategy ought to be - Listen to God and do what He says." - Perry Noble
- "Do you want God to use you greatly? Then He must wound you deeply." - Mark Driscoll
- "Reach out to the broken. See restrictions as an opportunity. Tell the truth in love." - Jud Wilhite
- "Stay in the boat. That's how you get to the other side." - Judah Smith
- "Perry Noble's 790 on the SAT is encouraging to me. Takes away a lot of excuses." - Francis Chan
- "Don't build your faith on what you see or feel, but rather on God's faithfulness. God's past performance is the best predictor of His future ability." - Steven Furtick
- "Big church is nothing. A growing church is everything." - Andy Stanley
It was a good day listening to those guys.
I then had the opportunity to preach at the Walton Hills Church of Christ near Cleveland, Ohio. What a great group of people they are!! I enjoyed being there to speak and having lunch with the leadership after church. I hope maybe one day I can go back again.
As I look ahead... I'm getting close to making some big decisions about my future direction in life and ministry. Please be in prayer for me as I seek God's direction in life.
Have a great Monday!!!