Tuesday, July 13, 2010

FOLLOW-UP TO "LIFE IS A MESS"...

After having several people check on me to see if I was ok... I decided I better write a follow-up to the "Life is a Mess" post. 

I still believe life is a mess.  Perhaps it's better to say that I believe life is messy.  I know that my life is a mess.  Not in the sense that I cannot function, but in the sense that I am a broken human being.  I feel like the Apostle Paul in the Bible who said that the good he wants to do he doesn't do; rather, he finds himself doing the things he told himself he would never do.  (See Romans 7) 

The point I wanted to make with my previous post is that until we stop pretending we are ok, we will never find true healing.  We will never have our "mess" truly straightened up. 

For too long I pretended that I was perfect.  For too long I put on a show.  I'm not saying I was a horrible person... but I was far from holy.  Yet, everything I did in my life was focused on keeping the perception alive that I was someone who always did the right thing.  That I was someone who had his act together. 

Know what happens when you pretend all the time? 

You get very tired. 

Know what happens when you get tired? 

You get sloppy. 

And when you get sloppy... the act falls apart. 

The good news is that it's when we give up the act that we can find healing. 

A friend said recently, "There are only two types of people in this world.  Sinners saved by grace and sinners who need to be saved by grace." 

Grace is only available to those who realize they need grace. 

In Luke 18 Jesus talked about two guys who went to the temple to pray.  One guy was a Pharisee, the other a tax collector.  The Pharisee prayed about himself!  He told God how good he was, rather than focus on how good God is.  The Pharisee compared himself to others. 

The tax collector, on the other hand, wouldn't even look up to Heaven, but instead he just kept saying, "God, have mercy on me, a sinner." 

Jesus said that tax collector was the one who went home from the temple in a right relationship with God. 

I am a mess.  I am a sinner.  And I am so thankful that God has mercy on me.  That God showers me with His grace.  

I don't deserve it.  But He gives it anyway. 

And it is through His grace that the mess of this life can make sense. 

My prayer is that people who keep pretending they are ok would drop the act and allow God to heal them.  Allow God to begin straightening up the mess in their life. 

After all... life in this broken world is messy. 

No comments: