Saturday, June 05, 2010

Reflections on Washington, D.C. Trip...

I had a great time traveling with my friend, Bane Angles, to Washington, D.C.  I truly enjoyed seeing the  places where history has been and is literally being made every day. 

I had only been to DC one time before.  My family made a quick stop one day when I was probably in 8th grade.  We went to the Air & Space Museum and walked a little bit on the National Mall.  I think at that time riding the subway was the highlite of the trip for me.  =) 

I really enjoy history... so this trip was very enjoyable for me.  I have tried to think about which site I enjoyed visiting the most, but it is tough to decide. 

The National Cathedral was probably my favorite place to visit.  To sum it up in one word:  IMPRESSIVE!!!   I wish I had a better camera... the phone camera just did not do this place justice. 

































I also learned that Helen Keller is buried at the Cathedral.  (I know that sounds like the setup to a joke, but it's the truth.) 

Arlington Cemetery was my next favorite place.  It was incredible to see the sacrifice that has been paid for our freedom.  Over 300,000 are buried in Arlington. 

































The changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was impressive. 

JFK Grave and eternal flame. 































The Holocaust Museum was moving as well.  It is so sad to think that such atrocities can be committed by humans... but that is the reality of sin in this world. 

The World War II Memorial was very impressive.  It was even more special to me because my grandfather served in the Pacific during WWII. 

































The Capitol, the White House, Union Station, the Smithsonian, the Lincoln Memorial were likewise very impressive. 

I look forward to another opportunity to return to DC. 

Final takeaway from the trip:  We are so blessed to live in the nation we live.

No comments: