Friday, April 23, 2010

Living a Better Story...

I'm in the first stages of a new journey.  The crazy part is I have no idea where this journey will take me.  All I know is that I couldn't keep going the way I was going. 

I didn't like the story of my life. 

Last year I read a book called "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" by Donald Miller.  (If you haven't read it, you need to!!  Click the link below to get it from Amazon.)  This book is all about story... the story your life is telling.  The book caused me to step back and evaluate my life story. 

What was the story my life was telling people? 

I realized it was not a good story. 

Therefore...

I have made drastic changes recently. 

I have left my job. 
I have left my friends. 
I have moved to another state. 

All in search of telling a better story. 

It's been a painful experience.  Both for me and for others. 

But there is a reason for why I'm doing this. 

I'm not looking to tell a better story for my sake.  I'm not trying to do any of this for my personal gain.  I want to use my life to tell a story of how God can take someone who is messed up and use them for HIS glory. 

If I'm brutally honest with myself, I have to admit that I was living a story that had only one main character... and his name was Wade Allen. 

Wade Allen was living simply for Wade Allen. 
Wade Allen was trying to make a name for himself. 
Wade Allen was trying to make himeslf look good. 
Wade Allen used people to make himself feel better. 

Did I mention I didn't like the story my life was telling? 

I hated my story.  I didn't want that to be the story told to people. 

I had to make a change. 

So begins the next chapter of my lilfe.  But the twist in the story is that I'm no longer the main character.  Rather, I want God to be the main character.  I want Him to be the focus.  I want Him to be the hero. 

I'm seeking to live out Psalm 37:4, "Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart."  If you delight in the Lord, He gives you the desires of your heart... which is more of HIM!!!!

That's the story I want to tell.  How God showed up and healed me.  How God showed up and moved me.  How God showed up and reminded me that He is all I need.  The story is all about God... not Wade. 

And if that happens, my life will be a better story than one I could ever hope to write. 

I'm looking forward to living a better story. 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read the book, loved the book, trying to find my story. Jealous of your leap! Best of luck!

Beth

Jason Thomas said...

Glad u r finding a new path. It's tough to be honest with ourselves especially about our faults or mistakes but u r rewriting a new story and it will be alot better.