Thursday, March 11, 2010

The National Preaching Summit

Earlier this week I attended the preaching summit in Indianapolis. It was so great! I always look forward to attending this seminar each year. The goal of the summit is to simply help preachers become better preachers. (And everyone knows I need all the help I can get!)

Dave Stone, Gary Johnson, and Gene Appel did an excellent job with their sessions.

I also enjoy the summit because I get to spend time with my preacher buddies. Their friendship and time together mean so much to me. It's always a great time.

Here are some thoughts from the summit:

The power in preaching comes through the Word!

Jesus had an awareness of Hell that caused Him to be passionate about reaching the lost. I need to make the stakes personal and be passionate about reaching them as well. I'm not a "hell-fire and brimstone" preacher, but I need to care enough to share with them the message that God loves them so much He made a way for them to be saved.

A church does not "choose" between focusing on evangelism or discipleship - they are the same thing!!

Your church will be either mission-driven or member-driven.

I need to pray. I need to be intentional about my efforts to reach people. I need to focus on building relationships.

No comments: