Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Pey it Forward...

I believe Peyton Manning is one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history.

Some would argue he's the best ever.

It's easy to be impressed with Peyton. After 12 seasons in the NFL he continues to improve himself and do things on the field that are simply amazing.

I started thinking about reasons why I would want to be like Peyton Manning. (I know that I want to be like Jesus, but go with me on this.)

Peyton is a great leader. Some people say he is the true coach of the Indianapolis Colts. Peyton has earned this by his consistent example. One thing is undeniable: when Peyton speaks, they listen.

Peyton is excellent at preparation. Hours and hours are spent in the film room watching opponents defensive schemes and tendencies so that when it comes to game time, Peyton will be able to quickly react to what is coming his way. As Bob Knight said once, "Everyone has the will to win, few have the will to prepare."

Peyton is funny. Regardless of the score of the game, Peyton dominates the commercials! (I heard that a couple weeks ago.) I realize that some people don't appreciate his commercials, but I think they are hilarious. It's nice to see that Peyton, while serious on the field, doesn't take himself too seriously off the field.

Peyton is generous. I realize he is a multi-millionaire and we can be tempted to think that it's easy for him to give money away... but reports out of Indianapolis tell that Peyton doesn't just give money, Peyton gives his time. In the same way he wants to succeed on the football field, he wants his charities to succeed.

Peyton is friends with successful people. The old saying is true: "Birds of a feather flock together." I don't think it's any coincidence that Peyton continues to win because he is always around other "winners." Peyton seeks out people who will stretch him and make him better. Like I used to tell my youth group: "Show me your friends and I'll show you your future."


You don't have to be a rocket scientist to guess who I'm rooting for in the Superbowl this Sunday!

No comments: