Thursday, February 11, 2010

One for the road...

Isn't it funny how people will remind you before a trip to "Be careful! Drive safely!" As if their parting words suddenly change your intent.

"Oh wow! Thank you so much! I was going to drive carelessly and endanger my life and the life of every other person on the road... but thanks to your concern and exhortation, I will proceed with care and caution."

I don't know why... but it just strikes me as humorous.

It also makes me realize how obsessed with safety we are.

Even in our prayers (and I'm guilty of this) we will ask God to protect us and watch over us and keep us safe. As if God needed to be reminded about our needs.

We are obsessed with our safety.

Now imagine if you were getting ready to leave... and you were saying goodbye to Jesus. What do you think Jesus would say to you?

Would He say, "Be careful?"

Or would He say, "Have faith."

In fact the message of Jesus to His followers is to come and die... so that you can find real life. Jesus was never concerned about our safety. Jesus said not to fear the one who can kill the body, rather we are to fear the One who has control over our soul.

May God forgive me for focusing on safety to the point I have not followed where He has called me to go.

No comments: