Our church is reading the New Testament together over the course of the next 30 days. This is a huge goal, but I think it will bring great results for those who read it together. I'm posting some personal observations from the daily reading...
- Matthew 24... one of the most debated chapters in the Bible. Most often this chapter is used to give "signs" for the second coming of Jesus. But was Jesus really giving signs for His second coming, or was He telling the disciples what would happen before Jerusalem would be destroyed?
Jesus Himself said in verse 36 that no one knows... not even Him! So my question is how can Jesus give signs about His return if not even He knows when it will be?
Jesus did know about the destruction of Jerusalem that was coming in 70 A.D.
My opinion is to be careful when you hear someone say that the "signs" show Jesus is ready to come back. The point of Jesus' teaching is to ALWAYS BE READY because we do not know when He will return.
- Maybe I should be more "wasteful" with my money like the woman with the expensive perfume in chapter 26... When is the last time I have ever "wasted" my money for God?
- Sometimes we can get too familiar with the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. If we have grown up in the church, I think there is a subtle temptation to glance over it too quickly, or become so accustomed to hearing about it that it doesn't "grab" us anymore.
Reading about Jesus' death on the cross reminded me today that I'm the reason He went through that.
But I'm so thankful that He came back to life and won the victory over death!!! Now I can be forgiven.
- We've got a mission according to Matthew 28... that mission is to go and make disciples.
- The book of Acts records how the church began to accomplish that mission Jesus gave His followers. I love reading the story of how the church began and how lives were changed.
- Timing is so crucial... The story in Acts 3 of the crippled man who was healed reminds me that God's timing is perfect. Here this man had been lame for 40 years... and yet one day, Peter and John went to pray... and his life was changed forever!
I do not know what you are struggling with, but I believe that one day God will bring healing... one day the timing will be right!!