Thursday, January 14, 2010

Come Clean & Be Free...

I loved this post from Jon Weece!! It's so true...


My good friend Matt Proctor wrote this and sent it to me today. It’s timely because all of us struggle with sin and what to do with it.

A minister came upon a group of neighborhood boys surrounding a dog. Concerned lest the boys were hurting the dog, he asked "What are you doing with that dog?" One of the boys replied, "This dog is just an old stray. We all want him, but only one of us can take him home. So we've decided that whichever one of us can tell the biggest lie will get to keep the dog." Of course, the minister was taken aback. "You boys shouldn't be having a contest telling lies!" he exclaimed. He then launched into a ten minute sermon against lying. Building to a climax, he ended with the pronouncement, "Why, when I was your age, I never told a lie!" There was dead silence for a few moments, and then the smallest boy gave a deep sigh and said, "All right, give him the dog."

It is human nature to want to appear to others better than we actually are. So we lie, hide our failures, manage our image and pretend to be something we’re not. But eventually, as Numbers 32:23 warns us, “your sin will find you out.” Yesterday Mark McGwire finally admitted to steroid use. Over the last few months, other public figures have been forced to admit extramarital affairs: South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanborn, David Letterman, Tiger Woods.

The fact is: we all have things we’d rather not have brought out into the public eye. But hear the amazing promises of Scripture:

“He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion.” (Proverbs 28:13)

"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.” (James 5:16)

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)

“When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the LORD’—and you forgave the guilt of my sin.” (Psalm 32:3-5)

The paradox of the gospel is this: Only when we come clean can we be made clean by the blood of Christ. So let us resolve to live honestly—to practice humble confession of our sins with God and a few trusted Christian friends. Let us commit to keep our failures uncovered so that His grace can cover them. A genuine pursuit of holiness doesn’t mean we won’t sin. It just means that when we do, we’ll take the first step toward overcoming it: be honest.


<><

No comments: