Monday, June 15, 2009

Last Night...

Last night I was feeling very discouraged.

To be completely open and vulnerable with you, I was feeling very alone.

Usually I enjoy being alone. I savor the opportunity to read, listen to music, or simply watch TV by myself.

But last night was different.

Last night was difficult.

Last night was a time when I hit the proverbial "bottom of the bucket."

I was drained. I was exhausted. I was miserable.

I don't often do this, but I cried out to God and simply said, "God, I need a word from You." I then opened up the Bible and the first text I came to was found in Isaiah 38.

These are the first words I read when I was crying out to God for encouragement:

"This is what the LORD says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover."


Not exactly the encouragement I was looking for last night.


But I began to think about these words some more.

I realized they were exactly what I needed to hear last night.

These words were spoken to king Hezekiah. Hezekiah had become very ill and Isaiah the prophet went to him to tell him to get ready die. But then Hezekiah turns humbly to God and prays. God sends the prophet back telling the king that he will have 15 more years of life.

I needed to turn to God last night. I needed to humble myself before Him.

Last night was a gut check. Would I continue heading down the path I was traveling, or would I turn back and follow God's path?

Last night was not an enjoyable night.

But last night was a good night.

Last night was just what I needed.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

I love opening the Bible and seeing what it lands on sometimes. :-)

Praying for you, man.

Jason Thomas said...

I hear you. I think we're on the same road, so I know we are not alone. No matter what God is always with us, even when we feel that way. I've felt that way all week, it's so miserable. But God is faithful. Thanks for your words today.