Friday, December 29, 2006

Level 5...

I just finished reading Jim Collins' book "Good to Great." This will make me sound like a nerd, but I really enjoyed it!

"Good to Great" is a classic business/leadership book. It is such a classic that I'm actually kind of surprised I had never read the book until now. There are a lot of good lessons contained in this book. If you are interested in improving your leadership or your organization, I would highly recommend it.

Even though the research was based on secular businesses, the book was filled with lessons I could apply to our church setting. On a personal level, I determined that I want to be a "Level 5 Leader." These are leaders who do not seek personal glory, but care more about the success of the business. That is so appropriate in the church.

I want the Lord to be given the recognition for everything. In fact, Jesus taught us in Matthew 5:16 to "Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Notice, people would not see your good deeds and think, "Wow! He is such a nice guy!" Rather, they would see the way you live and think, "Wow! He serves a great God!" That is the type person I want to be. A "Level 5" Christian.

1 comment:

preacherman said...

I think it is as close to a much read for leaders as there is.