Friday, November 10, 2006

Things change...

In life I tend to lean towards the conservative side of things. For example, I enjoy sports, but I do not have cable TV to watch games on. This is because I'm conservative with how I spend my money. (My wife thinks I'm cheap!)

The same is true in my religious beliefs. I am a proud conservative. I believe the Bible is God's Word, that it is inspired and relevant to our lives today.

In politics, I lean towards the conservative side of things. This does not mean that I am closed-minded or just punch one party when I vote. I have voted for people in both political parties. I just try to see which candidates match up best with what I believe.

On Tuesday many people in our nation said they wanted a change. This means that in January, the Republicans are out and both houses of congress will be controlled by Democrats. Things change. One blessing we enjoyed this week is how soon the election wrapped up. We didn't have to go for days and days wondering when it will no longer be "too close to call." (I'm glad they finally got those voting machines to work.)

This morning I was trying to sort out how I am personally feeling about the election. Too be honest, I'm SUPRISED at my reaction. Normally, I think I would have been really upset, but for some reason I'm not upset this week. Yes, it is disappointing that some of the guys I wanted to win didn't... but pick yourself up, learn from your mistakes, and move on.

It is interesting to me that the people who won most races were running as the "conservative" candidate. Unless these politicians were lying to us (*wink* wink), we should have a more conservative congress in January!

I wonder how President Bush feels? The good news for him is that it wasn't as bad as many previous presidents losses in the 6th year mid-term. In Franklin D. Roosevelt's sixth year in 1938, Democrats lost 71 seats in the House and six in the Senate. In Dwight Eisenhower's sixth year in 1958, Republicans lost 47 House seats, 13 in the Senate. In John F. Kennedy/Lyndon Johnson's sixth year, Democrats lost 47 seats in the House and three in the Senate. In Richard Nixon/Gerald Ford's sixth year in office in 1974, Republicans lost 43 House seats and three Senate seats. Even my favorite president, Ronald Reagan, lost five House seats and eight Senate seats in his sixth year in office.

For the most part we will have to wait and see what happens with the new congress. But, I do think it's going to be an interesting 2 years!

No comments: