Monday, April 17, 2006

I'm not a Loser!

Last Thursday Stephanie and I had lunch with two other couples. We met Craig and Cheryl Taylor, along with Keith and Joann Meece at Fat & Sassy. Fat & Sassy is a little restaurant here in Huntingburg. Each week, Fat & Sassy has a trivia question contest. As we were eating, I noticed the question for the week and realized that I knew the answer!

Now I had a dilemma. Was I supposed to tell a waitress the answer? But what if another customer overheard me… I couldn’t risk saying the answer out loud!

I asked Craig, “What do I do if I know the answer?” He instructed me, “Go to the counter; take a slip of paper they have laying there, write down the answer and drop it in the kettle.”

I moved towards the counter as if carrying out a covert-operation. I carefully positioned my body so that no one would be able to see what I wrote. I scribbled down the answer, along with my name and phone number. Then, I placed the slip of paper in the kettle and returned to my table. Mission accomplished. No one in the restaurant had seemed to notice.

That was Thursday.

Saturday morning my phone rings. The voice on the other end asks, “Is this Wade Allen?” I answer positively that it is me. She says, “I’m calling from Fat & Sassy to let you know that you are the winner of our trivia question contest!”

NO WAY!” I screamed. She affirmed that it was true. I was the winner of a free lunch and dessert from Fat & Sassy. You would have thought I had won a million dollars! I was so excited. I had a huge smile on my face. I even started calling people to let them know I had won.

After I settled down from my jubilation, I looked over at Stephanie and made the comment, “Babe, I’ve never won anything before!”

I began to think about that comment. Have I really never won anything before? Then it dawned on me. Because of Jesus, I have won something before. I have won the victory over death! Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15, “Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting? But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”

That’s better than any free lunch.

1 comment:

The C-Man said...

Congratulations!!! ...you're so cool. I can't believe you won. If I'm ever on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" you are totally my lifeline. I'm so phoning you!...by the way what was the question?