Thursday, April 27, 2006

Gilgal... a place of beginning

As Steph and I prepare to move into our first home, I've been thinking about new "beginnings."

In Joshua chapter 4, Gilgal was the place where the Israelites camped after they crossed the Jordan River. This was the first campsite they stayed at in the land. It was at Gilgal the people were given their strange marching orders to defeat the city of Jericho. Gilgal was a place of beginning.

We all have to start somewhere.

I remember July 3, 1988 very well. I was standing in the baptistery of the Buchanan, MI church of Christ. My dad lowered me down in that water and I came out a new creation in Christ. That was the start of my journey.

Do you remember your Gilgal?

I remember the day at church camp when I stood in front of the campers and staff and let them know that somehow and in someway I wanted to serve Jesus for the rest of my life. Christian Acres camp in Bluefield, WV is a Gilgal in my life.

Can you remember your Gilgal?

I remember seeing an ad for a ministry at Central Christian Church in Huntingburg, IN. Stephanie and I had just recently been married. We felt that God was leading us to pursue a preaching ministry. So I sent a resume to the church. A little while later I spoke with Craig Taylor, the youth minister, on the phone. Things didn’t seem to work out, so I hung up the phone and didn’t think anything else of it.

Several months later an elder from Central visits the congregation where I was serving in Ohio. He asks to talk to me. We talk and then make arrangements for me to come over and visit. One thing led to another and it was clear that Central was where I needed to be.

Sometimes we don’t understand the delays that come in our lives.
But God has a purpose for everything.

Coming to Huntingburg was a Gilgal. Moving into our home is a Gilgal. I dream about how our home will be used for God. I look forward to the meals we will enjoy with fellow Christians. I can't wait to invite non-believers over to the house so Steph and I can share Christ with them.

I love being in Gilgal... There is something inside each and everyone of us that desires a fresh start. Paul wrote this to the church, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17)

Do you remember Gilgal?

No comments: